Thursday, January 3, 2008

Steyn strikes back: Squashing debate like mosquitoes

Nobody messes with Steyn.
FROM JIHADWATCH.ORG:
Steyn strikes back: Squashing debate like mosquitoes
Mark Steyn responds to his accusers. "In rebuttal: Squashing debate like mosquitoes," in the CalgaryHerald
(thanks to Kathy Shaidle):
They and their friends at the Canadian Islamic Congress are seemingly not interested in stimulating debate, but only in shutting it down, by making it more trouble than it's worth for editors to run articles on one of the central questions of the age: Islam's relationship with a dying West. In using quasi-judicial coercion to squash debate, they make one of the central points of my argument -- that a proportion of Islam is inimical to western traditions of freedom -- more eloquently than I ever could.
Ain't it the truth. Again and again and again and again I have seen jihadists and their allies charge me with all variety of evil thing, in order to compel people of good will to turn away from what I am saying. But never do they deign actually to refute what I am saying. They can't do that, in fact, so they try to shut me down instead, or claim that what I have written is "total BS," but refuse to explain how or why -- because we are all such evil folks we won't listen anyway.
Westerners who understand the need for and value of free speech need to stand up for and with Steyn and Savage and all the rest -- before it's too late, and we can't stand up for them, because we will be imprisoned or worse for doing so.